Authorities of the University of Bamenda have already taken measures to ensure that the newly created professional school begins running this academic year.
New structures to host the newly created National Higher Polytechnic Institute of the University of Bamenda (NAHPI) are now ready, waiting for its first occupants.
According to Prof. Theresia Nkuo-Akenji, Vice Chancellor of UBa, they couldn’t delay taking necessary dispositions to kick start the professional school, created by a presidential decree of Friday November 24, 2017. The creation of a polytechnic to take care of Anglophone students had been one of the concerns raised by Anglophone teacher trade unionists.
On Monday November 27, 2017, when Cameroon Tribune visited the UBa campus in Bambili, technicians were busy with finishing touches on one of the university’s buildings which was already under construction. University authorities have set aside the building to host their latest jewel – NAHPI.
Two amphitheaters that seat 180 students each have been put at the disposal of NAHPI. Another block of four rooms (90 seats each) and office space is also ready, while work is actively going on for the construction of 17 classroom blocks.
As the UBa was carrying out its normal activities, after orientation of new students and a pedagogic seminar for lecturers, Cameroon Tribune’s visit to the campus coincided with a field visit of the Vice Chancellor. Prof. Theresia Nkuo-Akenji and her close collaborators were on a technical inspection of various structures under construction.
The Vice Chancellor reiterated the fact that UBa is quite ready to kick start its Polytechnic. She said staffing the new school will be their challenge; one they will immediately surmount. “We will continue to recruit part timers and instructors to fill the gab while waiting on the President for a general recruitment,” Prof. Theresia Nkuo-Akenji disclosed.
Going by the Vice Chancellor, there are over 1,500 freshmen in the classical faculties since registration started on October 15, 2017. “When you add enrolment in our schools, we can get to about 3,500 freshmen,” she said, indicating that they have obtained permission from the Minister of Higher Education to start the Faulty of Education.